Friday, June 15, 2012

First leg of the journey, the Sherman Lakeshore bus to the Ivory Bus Terminal for MATS and Greyhound, Muskegon, MI

Ultimate destination is Notre Dame and South Bend, Indiana, with stops in Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Detroit and Pontiac. It will be a trip combining bus, train and taxi. Hope the 3:10 PM Greyhound isn't delayed and I have time for a beer at Founders before the bus rolls to Kalamazoo. The eastbound Amtrak train doesn't leave Kalamazoo until 9:15 PM, so I will slip over to Bell's to see what is fresh on the tap, fresh from the brewery and full of brewmaster quirk. Will snooze on the train, which doesn't reach Pontiac until 1:30 AM. Sadly, I have to go all the way to Kalamazoo to catch an eastbound train. I will be meeting my daughter at 10 AM on the same platform. A hotel room is ridiculous! I have a brother and a sister along the Woodward corridor, but I won't bother them at that hour. If I get off at Royal Oak, I could hang out in the all night Leo's Coney Island. Maybe stay up with my friend Bert, Bitter Bert no longer, who writes cannibal plays and fictions between consulting assignments. Back in the day, he drank beer at Meg White's bar when she tended bar at Memphis Smoke, the blues and barbecue joint in Royal Oak. Or maybe a short spree at MGM, which never goes to sleep. The wrong move is to continue onward to Pontiac because nothing is there until the Coney, maybe, opens at 6 AM.

No comments: