Friday, September 21, 2012

On September 21, 2012, the September winds began to blow. On the last day of summer, the day of the Bobcat, begin planning for Summer 2013, day one, June 21, 2013.

Bobcat2

Summer 2013 is 272 days away from us. We must pass through fall, winter and spring again. Fall is easy. Spring is delightful. Winter is full of possibilities for redemptive suffering. And unexpected pleasure. Seasons are longer than long. Seasons are chapters of a lifetime. I have 17,895 days on my body. I have, I estimate, 196 seasons that stand as chapters in my life. I have known 49 summers.
 
I was amazed to see all the red fruit on the holly bushes around Mango's, a fish and rum restaurant which does well in Muskegon. I was stunned to see, for the first time in my life, holly blossoms. I was delighted to see a bee, not a honey bee but smaller and slimmer bee, docking at one of these blossoms. I noticed two crows picking through the split acorns meats in the gutter, acorns squashed by rolling tires of passing traffic. Crows can pick in the road because wings can carry them away from the tires in time. Windshields probably trick more than a thousand crows across the nation, catching crows because most birds don't understand glass. Tires pulverize acorn meats, and I'm sure animals enjoy the easy to eat particles. I am glad I wrote a bestiary this summer because I am more observant of nature. I wonder if I'll try plants next year?
 
I am already imagining next summer. I didn't cross Lake Michigan on the Lake Express nor the Badger this summer. I did cross the Straits of Mackinac twice, but does a Shepler Ferry mean high adventure at all? I have wanted to take a small boat to all the small islands of Lake Michigan, and there's time to plan for that before next summer. I have time to plan for a summer full of writing, but that's going to require time away from work, maybe a sabbatical? I have enjoyed a summer full of writing, though. The last day of summer is a good time to view the past ninety four days through the lens of gratitude. A few of the days became some of the best days of my life.
 
I haven't ever seen a bobcat in my life, but a bobcat has taken up residence in the animal hospital at Blandford Nature Center, on the western border of Grand Rapids. I saw a picture of the bobcat chewing down the box sides. I have time to go see the bobcat personally tomorrow. What animals I have heard about in story this summer, I can see face-to-face with a bit of perseverance this fall.
 
Let me know if you followed Wilbo's bestiary at all this summer. A few of you have complimented me on my dailies. Thank you!
 
Wilbo's summer bestiary is complete.
 
We end with an appreciation of the Bobcat.
 
Photography Credit
Bobcat (Lynx rufus), taken at Sunol Park near Livermore CA, USA

Calibas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Calibas
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Calibas
 
 

No comments: