Friday, October 19, 2012

At some point in the not too distant future, I'll start mailing dead birds I find into the Audubon Society.

Img_20121018_171525

I heard this request at the Audubon Society of Grand Haven, Michigan. The speaker told us to put the bird corpse in a resealable sandwich bag and store in the freezer until it freezes. She gave us no clue about how to wrap the specimen for shipment and provided no address to receive the package. Charlotte North Carolina sends out patrols searching for dead birds during the migration months, and the team can't count and collect the ones devoured by feral cats. A Charlotte crew found a mere 23 dead birds during late April and May, so the three I have found since the end of September make valuable data points. Now Chalotte is asking buildings to turn out all unnecessary lights at night during the migration. Seems like a good idea to me.

No comments: