Friday, December 26, 2014

Wilbo Tries to Score Some Honeycrisp Apples at Vandermill's.

Hoping to score a peck of Honeycrisp Apples, I motored over to Vander Mill's Cider Mill. However, there were no apples for purchase, not even for ready money. Honeycrisp apples are a hybrid invented in Minnnesota in 1960. The apple has larger cells that when crushed flood the mouth with juice. So I purchased two half-gallons of cider to tide me over. I have no idea if I'll find apples at the Muskegon Farmer's Market; a farmer from Sparta had been selling them for three dollars fifty a peck. I hadn't talked to him since the first weekend in December when he said he was putting all his apples on deep discount the second weekend in December. I missed that sale. I'm not even certain there will be a farmer's market downtown Saturday morning. I already have had the hard experience of pulling up at the shelters to see no people, no trucks, no open doors on a Thursday. It's nothing I wish to repeat.

I had gotten in the habit of enjoying a Honeycrisp before bed in October, a habit carried through November thanks to my farmer from Sparta and his good deal. 

Either I'm going to be cruising around Sparta, knocking on barn doors or going to Meijers Thrifty Acres, hopeful for fresh enough fruit.

I know where I can find frozen blueberries on the cheap to keep frozen. I can't be the only one who keeps the frozen bluets in the freezer compartment and pop the toothsome berries in my mouth like cold candy.
 —  at Vander Mill


--
Will Juntunen
231-714-8130

No comments: