Thursday, June 23, 2016

On May 23,2016, Wilbo Eats Breakfast in a Baha'i Peace Park Watching Squirrels; Wilbo Eats Dinner that Night Under a Bridge Contemplating Trolls.

May 23, 2016 4:47 AM
Awoke and took a note for the dream journal: "Ice on the race course broke and we had to dive for the leaders, floundering in the cold water. We fought until cold water gave them up."

May 23, 2016 8:02 AM

Muskegon is a city of gardens. Paris is a city of gardens too. Stratford, Ontario is a city of gardens also. Paris and Stratford have arguably the finest civic gardens in the world. Muskegon has gardens that are obscure or even gardens people ignore on garden tours. One of my favorite gardens awaits on Marquette Boulevard, land reclaimed from demolishing three vacant houses, celebrating oaks that were acorns in the lumber town days. I only know about it because Laura Holmes throws book parties for a list of local authors that grows longer every year. At the meet-the-author event at the Spring Lake Library, two women were selling a book on faith and landscape gardening. The sisters had a landscape design and maintenance company. They had a remarkable list of designs, gardens and commercial landscapes, in downtown Muskegon.

May 23, 2016 8:12 AM

I couldn't afford their book that day but it was okay. The two were happy to share Baha'i ideas with me and invite me to visit their work in progress, this Peace Garden where I sit and meditate before checking in at a local elementary. In the center, a marble compass rose is encircled by marble benches and conifer shrubs. The grass is always trim. The Baha'i congregation meets here one a year for a service during Muskegon's Ninety Days of Peace observance, bringing forty people who park on the lawn and bring music, food and children. The garden has little signage to tell you its purpose, just a mossy stone that reads, "Peace Garden". The squirrels romp around the base of the oaks happily, a cease fire on hunting declare in the city of Muskegon. Guessing a few wind up in a local's stew pot because who can hear a pellet gun? And yet, squirrels live here in peace in the Peace Garden.


May 23, 2016 6:32 PM

My favorite stand for greens and onions has opened for season. Located at Duck Lake and Scenic near Duck Lake Channel, the colorful, hand painted sign by the road declares, "Vegetables, Flowers, Salad Greens". Smaller sign closer to road adds as an afterthought, "Onions". Seeing lilacs in the shed first, I am hoping for mixed greens and maybe bunches of various herbs. The greens are priced lower than bags of potato chips and lower than the bags from my usual supplier, Mud Lake Farms, brings to the Muskegon Farmers Market. I have yet to emerge from my car parked on their wooded driveway and hope the people who parked the two Subarus earlier today understand free advertising, which is what I am writing in their driveway. I can't stand the suspense any longer. Hoping for greens more mightily that I've ever hoped for a six or eight in craps. A bird call seems to indicate annoyance.


May 23, 2016 6:32 PM

Shed had stocks of books to borrow, stalks of rhubarb, green onions and bunches of herbs from Italian parsley to fennel. I even lifted a vase displaying lavender, fresh and surprising to find in season, and sniffed for one of my favorite, clean scents. I was crestfallen to find not a single bag of fresh, washed mixed greens awaiting me. Maybe weekend traffic sold them out? I borrowed a copy of Fidel, a critical portrait, to read at Duck Lake Channel, a salad for the mind. I have tuna fish and crackers in my truck's hold and no greens to add to my picnic.

May 23, 2016 9:07 PM

Duck Lake Channel attracts families with children and adults with dogs. Tonight no exception, at least four fine dogs were running in the channel, a stream of water that narrows before entering Lake Michigan. I posted myself on a folding chair as children, parents and dogs made their way to Duck Lake Beach, taking a passageway that runs under the Scenic Drive bridge over the channel. I opened my tin of tuna flavored with lemon pepper and crunched happily on my crackers. I enjoyed a nuzzling from the occasional hound, but mostly just meditated on the day that had passed and enjoyed how sunshine reflected up from the channel's surface shimmered on the concrete structure that carried Scenic Drive traffic. Had hoped for a swim and searched without success in the truck for a swimsuit.

Picture of Squirrel from the Wikipedia

No comments: