Thursday, June 23, 2016

On May 30th, 2016, Wilbo Drove from His Home in Muskegon to a Beach on Lake Michigan Where He First Beheld the Great Lake Forty Years Before.

May 30, 2016 5:17 PM

Muskegon has a new crop of businesses for Spring, including Oceana Vineyards Tasting Room in the Century Club. That's a win for us from the farmers market. The couple behind Oceana loved the leads and sales from the market, even in the dead of winter. Financed by a fund for Native American business, the Front Porch opened this weekend, offering "Antique, Vintage and Revised Goods". Now that's fascinating because Native Americans have revised European American culture since the days of Christopher Columbus and the purchase of Manhattan for a price paid in beads.

I missed openings for each and will play catch-up soon. Front Porch inhabits the upper north side of Muskegon's downtown, a place with vacant buildings and industrial supply companies with quirky inventory systems. It is a stone's throw from the Cheese Lady, so it's fascinating to see the city grow out to a natural edge. There is the United Way out here and Witt Buick, an auto dealership that even GM couldn't close. Wonder what can happen out here? Mile 3116.


May 30, 2016 8:02 PM

Nature changes its creatures in size and form continuously. So I can be fairly sure an inch worm descending a thread of silk from the canopy of a tall oak came from an egg recently. The inchworm has tried the landing twice, finding the dryness of a concrete sidewalk a reason to try again. Mile 3136


May 30, 2016 9:49 PM

Sun is setting, now smack water on horizon. Two beach fires are roaring, adults taking action against dusk's arrival by building fire. I had to move because one fire used light materials that raised streamers of smoke. That fire is burning cleaner now. And there we have it, sun ball to sun smack in a few minutes. The sun is here all season, sundown show starts at Nine. The sun hit the water at a point north east of me, moving northerly each day until the solstice. I've been coming to this spot longer than any Lake Michigan beach, brought here by my parent's Lutheran congregation. I found the waters of Duck Lake Channel to be delightful, excitingly rich with fish, fingerings and perch, bass and trout. Clarity allowed me to see into the depths. The water here has given me concern.


May 30, 2016 9:49 PM

The water here at Stony Lake Beach gives me concern, and it's not the creek that's flowing into Lake Michigan here that concerns me. It's the shore of the big lake, the water close to shore. The shallows have visible algae, hardly a bloom and yet a sign of water too rich with fertilizer or worse, overflow from a septic tank. I frolicked in the creek instead, cold and turbid and pocked with the rings left by surface feeding fish. I found a bench and listened for bird calls as these no-see-ems tried to bite my nape, where my eyes can't see and my hands can reach only when I stop writing.

Photocredit


Lag BaOmer bonfire
1 May 2010
Yoninah

No comments: