Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Wilbo Remembers a Time When He Enjoyed "Intriguing Malbecs at Vinotecca, downtown Royal Oak, 8 dollars the glass".

Dear friend in Argentina:

Well, yes, I did sample a Malbec. From bin 421, I enjoyed the El Felino (Paul Hobbs), 8 dollars the glass and 32 dollars the bottle. I noted the Luca Altos De Mendoza 2001 Malbec in bin 423, but at 70 dollars the bottle I did not partake. I wrote down the exact names wondering if you are finding them on the shelves at wondrous prices.
This is the first Christmas I've spent at home since 2000, so I'm visiting with friends and family. It is not easy to resist the call of the road; the plane tickets out of town for any distance are highway robbery, and that keeps me in town. My trusty S10 clearly feels like it wants to road-trip, and so I purposely do not fill up my tank.
I doubt Mendoza will be any tamer. Perhaps when in Buenos Aires, do as the Good Breezes people do. How lucky of you to be under the Tropic of Capricorn for this Sosltice.
There's a woman filing reports of life in Argentina in the Detroiter. I quote Nick Sousanis: "But that's not all in arts! Catch special Argentinian contributor Maria Carolina Baulo as she shares her observations about art, Buenos Aires, and popularity." Have your paths crossed?
Feliz Navadad, and by the way, have you seen the Southern Cross ... for the first time? To quote Crosby, Stills and Nash,
When you see the Southern Cross for the first time
You understand now why you came this way
'Cause the truth you might be running from
Is so small
But it's as big as the promise
The promise of a comin' day
Wilbo

No comments: