Monday, January 6, 2020

Washington DC Welcomes Campers to Its Squares and Public Malls

January 6, 2020
Capital One Cafe
Chinatown, Washington, District of Columbia

The tent culture of Washington DC fascinates me. First, I remember talking to boy scouts encamped on the National Mall in 1976, the year we visited with our family. I was all ready to move in, but I didn’t have my camping gear nor my uniforms. Plus, although the scouts were friendly to me, an invitation to set up a tent wasn’t forthcoming. I remember the one scout’s smile and then walking away.

Today, I learned that a man named David felt God calling him to establish a church under a big party tent and to worship Jesus under that tent in all weather all day and all night. The tent stands near the Museum of Natural History, where evolution gets taught.

He’s kept the worship going for more than one thousand days, starting in 2012. People sign up to lead services on a schedule and a team of volunteers keep the services moving along. This week, religious programming from the State of Arizona has the responsibility of keeping the tent alive.

Since the beginning of fall, I understand that Jane Fonda has lead an encampment of climate change alarmists, camped out between the Capitol and the Library of Congress. This Friday, she and a band of committed activists will risk arrest. Fonda has four on her record now. A document tells how to prepare to be arrested, including leaving nice clothing at home and bringing fifty dollars for the fine.

Getting arrested? I wonder if that’s good or bad for ones career these days. My last job didn’t have a drug test. Wonder if these minor arrests get left off ones permanent record. Mom always harped to her children. “Don’t get arrested. Your record follows you around for all of your life”. On my first job, teaching at Hamtramck High School, I worked with a nun famous for protesting cruise missile production in Walled Lake. I guess it’s hard to be fired from the nunnery when your job is to be the bride of Jesus Christ. She has sadly passed away by now. She had already turned frail when I met her and congratulated her on her courage.

But really, what kind of tent could I pitch tonight? I would love one of those green canvas army surplus tents with a ridge pole and sew up corner flaps that Camp Tapico provided campers when I served on staff. Give me a cot and a fire pit, and I would be a ….  happy camper.



No comments: