Friday, February 28, 2020

Wilbo Hikes Around the Alamodome on the Way to the Elizabeth Warren Rally at San Antonio's Sunset Station

February 28th, 2020 at 12:03 PM
McDonalds in the Walmart at Military and Roosevelt
San Antonio, Texas


I got a little lost on the way to the town hall meeting. I knew I had time to get to Sunset Station, so I kept plugging. I left the Bernie office at Four in the afternoon, knowing that nothing would happen at the rally until Elizabeth Warren and Julian Castro showed up.

I walked east on Florida Street, a street that passed through a neighborhood once called Lavaca. Old neighborhoods survive all too rarely, and many were torn down in the name of urban renewal. Lavaca lost most of its buildings and residents when the city tried to modernize. Usually, this loss has happened when the government puts through an interstate.

Black Bottom vanished under I-75 in Detroit. Mayor Coleman Young had to have hated to see the neighborhood full of black businesses, homes and boarding houses vanish. He had practiced his charms upon the women of that enclave. He once referred to the Lodge Freeway as a ditch, spoiling his dry-cleaning business.

Syracuse sacrificed the 15th Ward to put through US-81. Father Charles Brady, a Catholic Priest, once wandered the ward, trying to be of service. And then the ward fell to the wrecking ball. His work continues as part of the Brady Faith Center, a center that teaches music lessons to children in the remaining poor neighborhoods of Syracuse. The center even sells produce raised on its farm on Onondaga Creek.

I’m shooting from the hip here, but I’m guessing Lavaca got the uplift when US-37 was constructed.
An art project tried to save a piece of Lavaca culture by engraving quotes of residents into the sidewalk of Florida street. I had to stop every few steps and read them, one after another. I had no pictures to tell me who was talking. I could only guess. The quotes captured my imagination, maybe because I remember the days before the aggressive insertion of freeways and the people who were old when I began my life on earth.

When I read, “The soles of our feet were always purple from stepping on ripe mulberries”, I remembered the mulberry tree in my parent’s backyard and my purple bare feet after walking around the trunk. I climbed that tree. I chewed its surprisingly tasty leaves. I gulped the purple berries by the handful. I even fell out of the tree once.

I was a strong climber and I could swing from branches, which thankfully never broke. I had watched too much Tarzan the Ape Man. I also had watched too much Mary Poppins and loved how her umbrella could lift her into the air. One day, I sat on a branch, opened an umbrella and jumped off the branch. The umbrella turned inside out, and I plummeted to the grass and fell on my hip. I was stunned. My grandfather, Stanley Barzsch, was burning a pile of copper by the edge of our lawn and saw me hit hard. He ran over and stood over me, saying, “Billy, Billy, are you okay. Billy, are you okay”. I finally answered him, “I’m okay”, and I walked away with a limp, my left hip feeling numb for a day.

I passed under the US-37 highway and walked east for the bus stop at Hackberry. I boarded the wrong bus, and once I realized it, I got off just south of the Alamodome. I found myself looking for a way through Hemisfair Park, finding it impassable.

The Institute of Texas Cultures had a tall iron rod fence around it. The Tower of the Americas had a fence just like it around it. I had to backtrack and I hate to backtrack. Then I found a bike path and noodled my way to Sunset Station. I thought about giving up and not attending the Elizabeth Warren rally. But I didn’t want to disappoint my daughter, a huge supporter. I pretty much walked around three sides of the Alamodome, and I will alway remember the Alamodome.

I love the fringe of events, and the Warren rally didn’t disappoint. The spectre of Communism rallies the Americans who look askance at Bernie, Elizabeth and Pete and Joe. Medicare for All must look like Communism for them. Gun control must make them think about the Nazis rounding up all the guns in the Polish Ghetto. They won’t be fooled again.

About ten of these Sons of Texas stood across from the venue and waved flags, including a “Come and Take It” flag with an assault rifle in the place of the Gonzales cannon. I filmed the squad. One of the leaders shouted to me, “Come back later. We have more patriots coming”. He flashed his sign at me: “Thanks for Coming to Texas, Elizabeth Warren. Now Go Home”!

I found a complicated line to get in using my reservation on the Warren website. I saw a woman standing alone at a table for Media Check-In. I put my Syracuse Press Club card on the table and requested credentials. She asked a few questions for the database and I got a pink card on a safety pin to get me through the gate. And then I watched as mostly women in groups arrived. I asked a few questions, more interested in the people than the politicians.

One daughter had driven all the way from the Rio Grande to attend the rally with her mom who lived in San Antonio. A woman was working the crowd, handing out a sign telling the virtues of Judge Mery, running for re-election. I had to wonder why she had chosen this thankless task. She introduced herself as the wife of Judge Mery. “Hey, glad to meet the Mery wife of San Antonio”. She knew her Shakespeare, so she laughed.

We waited. Staffers got on the stage to collect questions for Warren. For hours, nothing else happened. The DJ played song after song, but she didn’t mixmaster. The sun set. The temperature dropped. Why would the organizers leave a perfectly good stage unoccupied by talent? Bernie has an appearance scheduled with Public Enemy in LA. An San Antonio local band local to Warren could have made a difference.

I worried. So I started to blog snarky statements.

The sun has vanished from Sunset Station. This morning, the citizens of San Antonio awoke to frost and freezing temps. Tonight, the temperature drops. Why did Elizabeth Warren and Juan Castro push their appearance late into a cold Texas night?

We have an audience, a full house. We have local politicians of every level working the crowd. We have vendors, hawking unofficial Warren swag. We have nothing but three dollar water and soda to buy. Isn't this supposed to be a party?

But wait, here's Julio Castro. The crowd has gone wild!

But why did the organizers let a perfectly good stage go empty for two and a half hours. This could have been a cool concert.

Elizabeth Warren sounds hoarse, but she burned at Sunset Station in San Antonio. She raised the spirits of the gathered faithful, declaiming like William Jennings Bryan. She had a plan for that and that and all that and she had declared each plan.

And now she has three hours of men ... right .... women & children & babies lined up for selfies with her. Four days like this & she's hardly letting up, burning like a Roman candle until Super Tuesday. Somebody bring her some tacos!

I said to a volunteer, “Is someone going for tacos for Elizabeth”?

“She doesn’t have time to eat between pictures. She has a place she loves and she’ll beeline there after the selfies”.


Maybe she gets her fire from the sauces?

Elizabeth Warren

No comments: