Sunday, March 8, 2020

Wilbo's Grandmother Aino Knew How to Fight the 1919 Flu Pandemic by Breaking the Fever


March 8th, 2020 at 9:00 AM
First Unitarian Universalist Church
San Antonio, Texas

I was six or seven and I had the flu. My fever was high but not high enough to cause brain damage. Edward and Aino, my grandparents, were staying with us for a few days. My Grandma told me to lie down on the couch. I didn't know where she was going with that but it's nice to lie down when feeling sick.

My Grandmother piled blankets upon me until I began sweating. She worked quickly, knowing exactly what to do. Mother, Joan Elizabeth, was making dinner in the kitchen. Mom paid attention to her picture windows, one viewing a field of one hundred acres and one viewing an ancient Burr oak standing on a ridge of Euler Lake. Aino took advantage of that distraction. Mother had fully embraced modern medicine. She wouldn't listen when my Finnish Grand Mother recommended treatments she had learned from her mother.

Mother felt and thought in a modern way. The old world with all its merits, the world before antibiotics, was hard for us to understand from the viewpoint of the late Twentieth Century.

"I'm hot", I said. "Drink this water. All of it", she ordered. She held the glass for me so I could drink without letting out moisture as I drank. "Can I get up? This is too hot". "No, you have to stay under the covers for now. And I believed her and sweated for more than an hour.
Suddenly, I grew clammy and cool. "I feel funny. I'm shivering".

"The fever broke", my Aino said to me. "You will feel better soon. We can take off a few blankets".

When mom called us for dinner, I was no longer in my PJs. Mom didn't ask. She didn't have to bring me dinner on the couch. On Monday, I went to school.

If it befalls me to contract Coronavirus, I hope to drink endless fluids and cover myself with five blankets. Maybe my grandmother's folk wisdom that healed me once will heal me again. Maybe the heat of my body will have the power to kill the virus in my blood once more. 

Another medicine from Grandmom’s bag, in case of flu, I have a jar of Vick's vapor rub that I will rub all over my chest and apply inside my nostrils, just to drive the powerful eucalyptus down into my lungs. Grandma Aino b oved to make up a evaporator filled with water and augmented with Vick’s when our noses got stuffy. I joke that no one has ever used up a full bottle of Vick’s because a little dab will do ya. I inherited my current bottle from Grandmom Aino. I deeply wish I were not joking.

Houston has reported five confirmed cases of Covid-19. I have searched for a single case of the illness confirmed in San Antonio other than the ones from the CDC quarantine. The AWP Conference went on, but hundreds of authors cancelled their plans. Diane Zinna, co-director, resigned in protest after the association decided to hold the conference

The Strip on North Saint Mary’s saw several off-site readings and celebrations try to draw out those authors who did travel to town for the Association of Writers & Writing Programs meet. I planned my route and started at an Airbnb house, a classic Texas house, on Gillespie. A small publishing house named Madville Publishing wanted to share their books, their authors and their illustrators with us. A peaceful looking Holstein cow stares out from the company’s logo.   I gladly took the house up on the offer and met their team. I followed up today by writing the publisher on LinkedIn.

Hi Kimberly Clark, thanks for a beautiful evening on Gillespie Street.  The AWP events at Paper Tiger and the AMP room looked rather overlooked. Thank goodness I found a lively crowd at Highwire Arts nearby. Still, what could compare to the warmth of the Madville gathering?

I also reached out to Nick Gilley, an actor who has recorded several titles for Madville and contributed paintings to illustrate books. He had a generous laugh and a deep, comforting voice that must take the tape well. The home felt comfortable and we drank wine and nibbled on a bowl of beautiful red and green grapes brought in by Wendy, a therapist the house has cultivated as an author. I have to look at their book list to learn if I write in the regional, insightful style the publisher likes to print.

#AWP20
#NickGilley
#KimberlyDavis
#SanAntonio
#Covid-19
#Vick’sVaporRub




No comments: