Monday, June 15, 2020

June in West Michigan is a Time for Road Construction, River Dredging, Blue Herons and Aggressive Spiders

June 15th, 2016

12:11 AM --- In the Parking Lot of Anna's House, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Anna's House has so prospered in a Grand Rapids location near Calvin College. So, the House of Anna has set up shop in Holland. Mile 5161.

1:31 AM --- Downtown Ada, Michigan

Has road construction shut down downtown Ada? Mile 5189.

2:30 AM --- Samuel Lutheran Church, Muskegon, Michigan

I drove by Samuel Lutheran Church. Their sign announced that a food truck would be passing out food Wednesday at Six PM. Usually the sign says "Our Hands, God's Work". Mile 5240.

1:00 PM --- Harbor Island, Grand Haven, Michigan

I saw a flotilla of sand dredges moored at Harbor Island. Harbor Island is the final island in the Grand River before Lake Michigan. Wonder what massive dredging project awaits near Grand Haven. These dredges sailed up from Holland. King Company owns the dredges. Mile 5254.

1:41 PM --- Patio of the Theater Bar, Grand Haven, Michigan

I am puzzling out how a musician from Grand Haven made his gig in Montague. The musician doesn't have a car or an obvious means of transport. It's these little mysteries that keep my mind busy.

3:25 PM --- D&W Fresh Market, Grand Haven, Michigan.

The storefront for Red Apron, a home delivery service for food, stands near D&W Fresh Market. D&W Fresh Market is Grand Haven's best grocery store. Could it be so simple a business plan. Red Apron ties into D&W's inventory. When a customer places order and a shopper walks over to D&W and fills the order off the shelves? Then the shopper drives it to the customer's home?

I like the D&W because my friends who are great cooks mention the store. And D&W goes big when it sponsors the Grand Haven Salmon Festival. But that's not why I am here for a late lunch. Colonel Sanders no longer offers a roast chicken on its menu. No one ordered it and the roasted chicken went to waste. So the franchises rebelled and thought of ways to stop serving it.

D&W has a delicious roast chicken by the piece, and it is free range! And it's far less expensive than Colonel Sanders's already low price. The City of Muskegon doesn't allow people to keep more than one free range chicken. D&W Fresh Market will have to be my source for this tasty and healthy treat!

4:41 PM ---- US 31 North to Muskegon, Michigan

I am loath to kill wildlife. Yet, a spider had tried to colonize my driver side dash. It was black, as big as a penny and accented with a bristly body and orange stripes. It was neither a brown recluse nor a black widow, two spiders that can do great harm to a human. I had left my window open a crack and this spider was already spinning webs where my door meets my dash.

I hate spiders. I once saw a spider in my office sixteen years ago. The Year 2000 Problem threatened to make our computer programs buggy and I was in an office fixing them. I saw a spider. Forgot about it. Then it bit me. I left the office feeling dizzy. I took a nap at home. I awoke from a nap.

4:50 PM --- Craig's Cruisers, Norton Shores, Michigan

I awoke from a nap. I felt groggy and had a headache. The headache lingered for days. Ever since that spider bite in my office in 1999, I've smited spiders aright away! I was giving this less than lethal arachnid no chance to bite me and inject mouth bacteria on into my body!

We left the highway at Pontaluna Road, a Great Blue Heron was standing on one leg at Craig's Cruisers. The Heron was studying the water park's lagoon for fish. I monitored my ankles for the tingle of eight legs. I wanted a warning that the invited guest had found bare skin. I wanted to smite it before the arachnid could land a bite.

I imagined foaming at the mouth. In Norman Mailer's "The Naked and the Dead", a snake bit a soldier on the ankle. The soldier foamed at the mouth, writhed in agony and died. I wasn't going to let that happen to me.

I worried that I would have to spray the joints in my dash with Raid if I failed to find the arachnid at the gas station. Spraying Raid is hardly a sustainable act. I opened the door and smacked him dead with a seat of my heel, a very pollution free solution.

I warn you to expect rain. I pulled off the highway to deal with the blighter, which I surprised by opening my door and smiting it with my shoe.

Juvenile Southern Black Widow Spider
By Kazvorpal at English Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 4.0
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=75073000

No comments: