Monday, March 12, 2012

Eagles are fishing in the waters of east Mona Lake and nesting this early spring, Muskegon @PureMichigan

Haliaeetus_leucocephalus-tree-

I have heard many stories concerning the eagles of Mona Lake. I have heard that the eagles nest in the oaks of Ross Park or the oaks overlooking the celery flats. I have seen more this week than in four years of living on east Mona Lake. I am wondering if I should clean up a room and advertise on AirBNB.com: "Wilboterria, viewing deck for the Eagles of Mona Lake". The eagles are working the bay where US-31 runs between the east lake and the celery flats, near the outlet of Black Creek. I have noticed Eagles diving for fish several times as I drove on past, wishing I was driving an easy-to-park motorcycle or moped. I have a feeling this activity is reserved for early spring, so I should enjoy it now. Maybe practice catching them in flight with a cell phone camera. Cell phone camera for capturing the flight of dawn's dauphin? Maybe an HD GoPro Camera is the camera called for by the situaiton.
 
There is a town called Eagle, Ontario and it has a few Eagles that fish in Lake Erie. The cliffs are thrty to fifty feet high there, allowing the Eagles to plummet to prey. A regular crew of Canadian locals keep track of their Eagles, just as Muskegon bird watchers keep track of our visitors. We have high cliffs on Mona Lake too, about thirty feet high, surmounted by the stout, tall oaks of Highgate Boulevard. Hope no one cuts them down.
 
I understand the freeway is a hazard for Eagles carrying off their catches. One Eagle collided with a van going southbound, carrying a fish in its talons. Died instantly. I understand that road kill is a dangerous treat for these glorious birds of Mona Lake. I have read a story of several Eagles dying after gorging themselves from a mound of fish entrails outside a food processing plant, a tragic outcome.
 
Only American Indians can possess the feathers, claws, beaks or bones of an American Eagle, I have heard. I have seen two Eagles locked in combat, taxidermy Eagles, on display in the skylight of Eyaawing, the cultural center of the Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewas. It's a lovely small museum set on the western shore of the Traverse West Bay, south border of Peshawbestown, Michigan. I am sure the feathers from the US-31 kill found its way to keepers within a Michigan tribe, too.
 
Eagle Report counts Twelve Eagles spotted in February
 
A report of Eagles around Mona Lake from 2009.
 
Catch some R and R through Air B and B.
 
The Eagles of Mona Lake: A story big enough for even Mlive.com to notice:
 
Eyaawing means "Who We Are" in the traditional language of the Grand Traverse Bay tribes, Anishinaabemowin.
 
Wilbo, Go Pro or Go Home

No comments: