Sunday, March 11, 2012

Muskegon has been blessed with TC's Diner, open 24 Hours on Henry Street.

Already the diner has a parking problem, probably because the establishment has fielded six waitresses now milling around four tables with customers and the house hasn't found off site parking for staff. The door of the rest room sticks terribly. However, the tables are solid wood, reflections shining under the sixties style lighting. The music comes from the kitchen and it is understated and soulful. I am expecting my bone-in fried chicken to be soulful too.

A woman across the dining room is talking powerfully about how she successfully fought six or seven moving violation tickets. There's no wireless, so we might not see the students and the laptop brigade yet. I am one of two middle aged men eating alone, doing literary things, enjoying the charm of the waitresses. My waitress has known TC, Teresa Courtland, for twenty-five years.
Yes, the chicken is soulful.

TC's Diner on Henry has the following phone number: 231-755-0255

People ask for the phone number when I come out to visit a new restaurant, so I am making sure I have that covered. I have three surprises to add. First, the pie is made in house by a baker who comes in special to make them. Tonight, I had banana creme pie, and I'm looking for sweet potato pie, served in quarters. Second, coffee added to a meal cost fifty cents, a real tribute to the golden days of the diner. It's 1.49 a cup without a food order, fifty cents less than the Rendezvous of Grand Haven, the 24 hour diner competition. Third, the music arrives not by satellite and Pandora but pulled down from the airwaves by a Montgomery Ward Airline Stereo, turntable, radio and eight track player packed together. I haven't heard a single commercial on Rock and Soul MTEC106.

Sadly, my fried chicken breast had an ice cold heart, although the piece was cooked all the way through. It's a new place, so I happily cut them some slack. No credit card machine awaits your plastic, but that will be a matter of time

No comments: