Monday, June 18, 2012

Finally, I see the last bus of the journey move onward after dropping me off. #MATS Norton Shores, MI

I am back a day later than I had planned. The transportation options from Detroit to Muskegon dwindle to two Greyhound buses that run during the work day. My Greyhound bus arrived thirteen minutes late to Muskegon, a miracle considering the run was late enough to make the run to Chicago delay at Grand Rapids. A few happy people going to Holland made their connection because the Chicago bus delayed. As for me, I missed the 5:50 PM departure of the Sixth Street bus from the Herman Ivory Terminal, the terminal in downtown Muskegon. I was determined not to call a cab and pay 14 dollars to go home. Ironic that the Greyhound zips right by it and cannot stop. I try not to call a friend for a ride when I have an alternative, although I could ride for a year if I got back every ride I have given others. I even saw a friend in a white pickup truck zip by, exchanging our waves. Children were playing in the water fountains of Celebration Square. I would have looked out of place in the spray with my traveling clothes on, damp and clinging. So I cooled my heels in the downtown Subway, tweeting and making notes on the road. I made it on the 6:50 PM Sixth Street Bus, which goes to the Muskegon Heights terminal at Baker and Center twice.

I would have loved to take the Double Decker Megabus to Chicago at 4 PM and then taken something back to Muskegon. Greyhound from Chicago to Muskegon through Grand Rapids would have cost another day. Pere Marquette to Holland might have worked, but that requires finding a person at the Holland Amtrak station going to Muskegon and willing to give a bloke a lift. Chicago to Milwaukee and then across the big lake of Lake Michigan, courtesy of the Lake Express Ferry, sounded very cool. That option meant Amtrak up to Milwaukee, a night in Milwaukee and a 175 dollar ticket for the last leg of the journey. But it would have gotten me to work close to starting time.

The temptation to hitch hike is pretty strong. I was very good at hitching a ride during my handsome youth. Men my age don't hitch. I get along well with the princes of the road, the truckers, and maybe I will work a truck stop or a rest stop one journey. These gathering points for truckers are not as accessible as bus stops, alas.

Around Noon today, I took of from the Detroit Greyhound at 12:30 PM. I got off the final MATS bus around 8 PM. A three hour car trip is doubled on public transit. I could have done better standing at Bagley and the Lodge ramp with a sign that said "Father returning home to Muskegon after visiting his daughter on Father's Day!"

No comments: