Tuesday, December 10, 2013

August 21, 2013: Captured on Film as I Cycled Away From Work, the Google Street View Sedan Gathers Souls. #ClassicWilbo

The Google Street View sedan drove by me as I was out cycling, and I waved at the driver as he made a turnaround at a cul-de-sac. The man is driving a camera that captured my image from eight different viewpoints for about twenty seconds of my life and my wave goes without return? I can understand. Google Street View's capture of a moment in time can be described as a bold act of appropriation. I would not be surprised if drivers are instructed to pass by and skip interaction. Interaction could spark resistance or even hostility. From a design viewpoint, the cameras turned that street into knowledge soon to be accessible anywhere by any person or any programme. That might have some economic upshot, especially if a buyer sees the factory space under renovation and the easy access road. Let's hope. And how do I get that job?

No comments: