Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Wilbo Hallucinates a Visit to Key West During a Visit to the Chelsea, Michigan Speedway Gas Station

Avoided the two gas stations at the freeway ramp in Chelsea. Found the Speedway & shivered as I pumped gas. Walking into the retail floor, Jimmy Buffet's "Wasting Away in Margaritaville" was playing overhead, and the interior was warm as a beach at day's end. The overhead lights were bright and I could imagine myself at Key West with a noontime sun oberhead. So I bought two cold bottles of Aquafina and a Klondike Bar.

All that was missing was a Cheeseburger in Paradise, and yet, I've eaten that and gotten the tee-shirt. In Key West, a pharmacy has a lunch counter with a griddle. The pharmacy is near the Southernmost point of the United States. It is also near a magnificent place for massage, nutrition and healing, a building and courtyard, the entire exteriors painted lavender. Buffet had a cheeseburger at that counter & penned his ballad. I had one too during my visit when I read about the cheeseburger history on the menu. Good cheeseburger sold at a fair price with extra thick onion slices. I ordered two for lunch for several days, stretching my vacation money.

No comments: