Saturday, September 17, 2011

In St. John's MI, I discover The Mint and Sirens nightclub. And run afowl of a bridal party. Mile 13772

Img_20110918_012832

Really, I meant no harm. I pulled into town after driving through a literal deer park on M-21, happy to see a lighted town with no four legged car crashes. I spotted twenty deer as I drew close to St. John's western border. One Bambi spooked and then stood in the middle of the roadway. Unspooked it walked to the right shoulder and spooked again. So it started towards the center of the road and I waited for it to do something, afraid it was going to charge my car. Finally, it dashed for the left shoulder and kept into they hedgerow.
In St. John, it was a half hour to closing time and I turned north onto the main boulevard to look for a place for one drink. A sidestreet had a bit of street life and I parked, discovering the lighted exterior of Sirens, pumping out soul music and flashing disco strobes. So I had to stop and go inside. I found a lively scene, with one woman dancing in high heels and a leather cocktail dress. Another woman was dressed in Carhartt classic, dancing also. All of the twenty dancing women were dressed in some outfit between those two fashion poles. So I had some fun just watching, and I think the bump and grind dominated. It was really a scene out of Leonard Cohen's song closing time.
I noticed a woman in black and a woman in a white Tuxedo blouse in the limestone portal of the brick edifice next door, which now served as the St. John's Banquet Center. Elegant and affordable said the sign. The woman in black introduced herself as the bartender. I read the sign as a question: "Is the center really elegant and affordable?" The bartender answered "I'm elegant." The waitress in the tux shirt blurted out, "I'm affordable". Since she was having a smoke, I asked her for a smoke. As we puffed, she explained that The Mint in the old bank with many many vaults had been turned into a restaurant and a seven room hotel. The entire bridal party had booked it for the honeymoon first night. A man in a tux had just finished loading up the DJ and giving the DJ's truck a jump. HD turned to me and said, "She's just trying to get out of here. It was the groom, so I said nothing. The waitress had just asked me all kinds of questions, including some about my job and if I live in town. Nevertheless, I apologized for any issue and the waitress said "No problem, really."
I stood in front of Sirens nightclub, where two women decidedly not with the wedding party stood, one woman motorboating with her face her friend's boobs. A few minutes later, a best man came over and introduced himself as J. So we made idle chitchat as we lit another round of cigarettes. We could see the beautiful bride dancing from our vantage point, the club's door being wide open. As a general compliment I said: "The bride is very beautiful". J answered, "If you touch the bride, ten men will kick your ass. I'll be first." I answered, "That would be sacrilege. There's nothing more sacred than a bride. I would kick my own ass." We both laughed and then I hid myself in the dance party inside.

No comments: