Sunday, October 2, 2011

Monday is World Habitat Day, a holiday celebrated the world round, including Bahrain.

Img_20111002_205015

I keep track of events around town by this marquee, and I am glad World Habitat Day appeared in letter day before its observation. I intuit this special day brings awareness to habitat for humans, rather that habitat for animals. I noticed the leader of Habitat for Humanity posting a special statement on the internet. It's a great organization faced with a daunting task, putting every human being in an adequate house with a locking door and a flushing toilet. As I believe Jimmy Carter founded Habitat for Humanity, it's a bit of a liberal holiday. That's a stretch because many religious and conservative builders stepped forward to give Habitat a good early start. Now any town of any size has a Habitat chapter and a good many people from both sides of the aisle roll up their sleeves to raise dwellings. Let's call the holiday a gift of the sovereign state of Georgia. Housing in American has a long list of paradoxes. First, we have homes falling into disrepair after owners fell behind in payments and the legal process of eviction turned them out. We have homes in urban areas that go from vacant and adequate to ridden with crack denizens and squatters. Some go vacant and are vandalized to the point of condemned status. We have homes built for two adults and two children that now house one adult or one adult and a few children. There's plenty of units in West Michigan that made money enough for a year as vacation rentals and now will stand vacant until May or June. How do we settle the issue of homelessness or substandard housing situations without erecting tent cities? It's a challenge, and I wonder if it has been solved since the beginning of industrialization. I love my habitat but I can't seem to spend a full day among its walls. I am never going to grow vegetables or meat pack my own salmon or venison there. The only item that grows inside Wilboterria is thought, and that doesn't pay bills in all cases. Wish me luck for I might move, chances are to a more city environment, chancing to become an urban rancher.

No comments: